Time is TBD|
New High-School Aged Youth Advisory Group
Youth and young adults often have involvement with and are affected by a range of systems including but not limited to the Child Protective Services, Foster Care, Adoption, Kinship Care, and Youth Residential Facility systems. In order to ensure that a diverse range of experiences are represented, i
Time & Location
Time is TBD
Kalamazoo, 445 W Michigan Ave #102, Kalamazoo, MI 49007, USA
About the Event
For More information please reach out to Christina Smith at email@example.com or 269-303-7633
ASK currently has one youth advocacy program known as Calling All Youth (CAY), which amplifies youth voice surrounding mental health and the stigma attached to mental health. They act as the youth advisory board for the Kalamazoo Mental Health System of Care. This new program will be modeled after CAY, but will be focused specifically on improving the child welfare system from a youth perspective. Here is the basic framework:
· Eligible youth will be high-school aged, living in Kalamazoo County, and enrolled in some sort of educational program. This does not have to be traditional public school, but can be an alternative learning program, a GED program, virtual learning, etc.
· Eligible youth must have experience in the child welfare system (Child Protective Services, Foster Care, Kinship Care, Adoption, Residential Treatment)
· Eligible youth cannot have a violent charge on their record for three months prior to applying
· Youth will apply for the program, have a structured interview with the ASK youth team, and then attend an orientation workshop
· Eligible youth must be willing to share their lived experience (in a safe space) and willing to use their voice in order to step into leadership roles
· Our program will run every other week, the day and time will be decided by the youth
· Youth will receive a $25.00 stipend for every meeting they attend, once per month for engaging in a one-on-one supportive planning meeting with myself, as well as every special event, presentation, or activity in which they offer their lived experience to inform policy and practice. If the event is over four hours, the stipend will be increased to $50.00.